Sometimes it pays not to take “no” for an answer. Especially when the “no” comes from one of your medical treatment team.
I have had pretty decent results from the Plaquenil and MTX. But maybe it’s the Type A personality inside me … I’d like even more results and any reduction in long-term damage I can get. So I’ve been preparing to start a biologic drug. First we did the TB skin test and the necessary blood tests — all negative. I researched and made the decision to go with Humira.
And then the rheumatologist said he didn’t think we should submit the paperwork to my health insurance. Once I picked my chin up off the floor (surprised much?), I got my pushy self going. I had a list of why we should move forward with a biologic drug — all the things that would bring me closer to the old normal life. They sure made sense to me.
The reason why we shouldn’t submit? Because my rheumy just didn’t think the health insurance company would approve this medicine for me. My response? We’ll never know unless we try. No one will punish me for trying and getting rejected. And I just have to know where I stand.
He asked me to wait until my next appointment (6 weeks away). And in the meantime his staff would work on the situation with the health insurer. Sounded like a fair plan to me, so I agreed.
Would you believe this? Four weeks later, and it turns out my health insurance doesn’t require pre-approval for Humira! So what would have happened if I hadn’t been that pushy patient? I would have missed out the opportunity to take a medicine that has a lot of potential to help. I don’t know about you, but if I hadn’t pushed I also would have been sorely pissed to find out later that I could have been taking the medicine all along.
So the first shipment of Humira arrives this week. Thank goodness I’m not afraid of needles!
~~ Would appreciate any hints / tips / tricks though ~~